Prawn Curry Recipe


prawn-curry-coconut-milk-spicy-rice-main dish

We all like good tasting food, but good food does not necessarily involve complicated cooking or long sessions in the kitchen. Some people have spare time on their hands so they are willing to spend hours in front of the cooking stove cooking a single dish.
I have multi-tasked all my life, usually women are better at multi-tasking as compared to men. So while I am cooking I am also cleaning or ironing and sometimes I am doing my dishes.

It's for this reason that I am always finding ways of cooking good, tasty food in the shortest time possible. You may be surprised to hear that never in my life have I learned even a single recipe from anyone. My mother once explained to me how to make the basic curry sauce and this was a verbal explanation.

I did not stand by her side while she was cooking but perfected my skill through trial and error, that's why you may find some of my recipes kind of different. Before you get bored with my culinary journey, let me tell you that this recipe is my very own prawn curry version.

You will need just a few ingredients and 20 minutes of your precious time and you will have a lip smacking curry on your table and believe me, this curry will be a part of your weekly meal plan for the rest of your life.   I have limited the use of coconut milk to only 3 tablespoons because I didn't want the coconut milk to overpower the flavor of prawns but you can add more if you like.

Another important tip to remember while cooking prawns firstly you don't have to worry if you are buying frozen prawns but if you buy fresh prawns be sure to deveined properly.
Here is a list of ingredients for prawn curry:

Ingredients:

700g prawns, deveined and washed
4-5 tbsp oil
1 medium onion chopped

1 tsp chopped garlic
1 tsp chopped ginger
4 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp methi seeds
1 1/2 cup water
3 tbsp coconut milk powder dissolved in 1/2 cup water

Method:
  1. Take oil in a pan add chopped onions and cook till golden brown.

   2.     Add chopped ginger and garlic. Cook for half a minute


3.      Add cumin and fenugreek seeds also add turmeric.


4.      Now add tomato paste and chilli add a splash of water and leave to cook for about 5 minutes until the spices are fully blended into the paste.


5. Add the prawns. I am using frozen, precooked prawns that hardly take 3-4 minutes to cook.
When cooking prawns make sure not to overcook or they will become rubbery and practically unpalatable.


6. Add the water and cook for 3-4 minutes as stated above.


Pour the coconut milk over the curry cook for another minute. Garnish with fresh coriander and green chilli(optional) Serve with plain or coconut rice.

Comments